The 1984 Honda CR60R is a rare bike since it was only produced in 1983 till 1986 and available in Europe in 1983 and 1984 only. Because of the small production there aren’t a lot of these bikes around anymore. I like the bike because it looks a lot like the big bikes from that era.The Honda CR60R will be brought back to showroomstate.
Began tearing down the bike and pulled out the engine.
First thing on the list is restoring the engine. The engine is in good condition exept for two parts. The cylinder head misses a fin and the ignition cover was heavily damaged. I was fortunate enough to find these two parts new. The crankcases, the clutch cover, cylinder and (new) head are blasted with glass beads to be painted in the original satin black finish. All bearings, seals, gaskets and bolts are replaced with NOS Honda parts.
Torn down CR60!
The gastank together with some plastic I bought in the US will be renovated by Plastic Renovations, before shipment to the US I removed the decals and cleaned the gastank.
Dirty aluminium gastank supports.
Bead blasted tank supports.
Prepping the crankcases for bead blasting.
Left crankcase after bead blasting.
Some NOS parts I collected over the last few weeks.
Bead blasted hardware before sending to replating.
Bead blasted engine prepped for painting.
Found a NOS crankshaft on ebay, very happy with this part because a replacement rod was impossible to find.
Engine parts painted in their original satin black finish.
Ready for assembly.
Filling the cases.
The splines of the original gear selector shaft were damaged and rusty. Unfortunately this part was not available through Honda anymore so I purchased the 1983 version instead. Because the 1983 shift mechanism uses teeths in stead of a pal, I had to weld the plate of my 1984 gear selector shaft on the new shaft with the help of van Herpen Lastechniek.
Still waiting on some parts of the clutch assembly.
The restored cylinder kit.
Cleaned up reed valve.
Reassembled the painted brake anchor plates with replated hardware and new drum shoes.
Painted triple clamps with new hardware, waiting for the new bearings to be installed.
Lower triple clamp.
Filing 43mm Wiseco pistonrings to 42,75mm because I couldn’t find this size in 1mm thickness.
Bought a 24mm Keihin carb as a replacement upgrade for the original 20mm carburetor. It needs a good cleanup!
The Keihin PE24 after blasting it with water, nice outcome!
Assembled the carburetor with the original pink Honda overflow hoses.
The Honda CR60R engine turned out great!
The original rivet band attaching the rubber flap to the airbox was too rusted to use again so I asked my nephew to lasercut a copy for me. It needs to be replated before installing it again.
The front and rear hub are painted satin black, new bearings and seals are installed together with NOS wheelspacers.
The original airfilter had rotten away so I bought a new Moto Air foam airfilter which fits perfectly.
Assembling the rear wheel with NOS Honda spokes and a new Takasago chrome rim.
Rear wheel fitted with an original NOS IRC Supercross M2D tire.
Rear wheel complete with a NOS rear sprocket.
Bead blasted linkage, the linkage and swingarm will be painted in the original silver/grey color and assembled with NOS Honda bearings.
Bead blasted swingarm.
I bought this NOS black buddyseat from a Canadian eBay store. I came across it and bought it right away. The original buddyseat from the bike was not in the best shape and I had to make aluminium brackets because the original ones were destroyed as well as applying a new seatcover.
This NOS buddyseat was a good investment because I would have it all new at once. I am going to use this buddyseat so the CR60R is going to look a little bit like a 1982 CR480R with the black seat. The seller thought it might be a Hondaline optional accessory but he isn’t sure either. So if you confirm it’s a Hondaline accessory or perhaps something else, please contact me.
Swingarm and linkage back from painting
Good news, the swingarm and linkage were ready to pick up from the painter so I did. Frans de Waal did an excellent job again and I am very pleased with how the color and finish turned out. It’s a silver/grey color with the finest possible metallic and then clear coated with a satin finish.
Before the frame can get painted it will need some modifications because the area were the brakepedal is bolted on is damaged. The old bolt is still there but didn’t come out yet, I think it was welded at the back and then grinded flat or something. Still need to figure that out.
Minor steps but getting there
The last week I have been busy with pressing bearings and receiving packages. The swingarm and linkage came back from painting last week so it was time to install all NOS bearings I had collected.
The stock steering head bearings use spherical balls, providing just a few dozen contact points and poor adjustment possibilities. Although I’d like to go NOS Honda all the way, I thought roller bearings would be a great update for the Honda CR60R.
The painted swingarm and linkage received some new bearings and seals too. I managed to track down all the original bearings, bushings and seals, and after carefully removing the paint around the bearing fits I pressed them all in. Received the chainguide and chainslider too, I found those at a French Honda dealer who had in dead stock. The swingarm assembly looks like it came from the factory in Japan!
Although I don’t have the exhaust pipe nor the silencer yet, I managed to find another hard to find part, a NOS exhaust rubber, which came in this week. It is complete with the two metal springs on both ends.
Yes it was package week. Got this NOS gastank cap too, complete with the original rubber hose. The original cap had some minor scratches and I’d rather put a new cap on the gastank when it returns from Plastic Renovations.